The articles below discuss childhood obesity in America. For many, childhood obesity is a cause that interest them because they see the danger it presents. I applaud them for being so forward in their thinking. However, for me it is much more than a cause.
If you have read my weight loss story, then you know that I was an overweight child, an obese teen, and a morbidly obese young-adult. I know all too well the emotional, physical, and psychological harm this disease can cause.
Childhood obesity is a subject near and dear to my heart. I enjoy staying up to date on the latest prevention and treatment strategies. While scouring the internet, I come across many childhood obesity articles. Some good and some bad. With this post, I plan to bring you the latest and best information on this epidemic.
- President Obama Takes Fitness, Sports and Nutrition to the Next Level – Huffington Post article on President Obama’s new “Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition,” which will help the President’s administration to develop and coordinate a national program to enhance physical activity, fitness, sports participation, and good nutrition.
- Cartoon characters tilt kids’ food choices toward junk food – USA Today article that discusses a recent study that shows that kids prefer foods with their favorite cartoon characters on them. Unfortunately, these cartoon character endorsed foods are usually unhealthy.
- Childhood Obesity: An Epidemic That’s Growing Up Fast – Huffington Post article that provides an excellent synopsis of the childhood obesity epidemic.
- The Threat of Childhood Obesity – U.S. News & World Report article where a pediatric expert discusses the growing waistlines of our children.
- How IBM Aims to Tackle Childhood Obesity – Wall Street Journal Health Blog post that discusses IBM’s plan to use computer models to find a solution for the epidemic.
- Bullies Target Obese Kids – U.S. News & World Report article that discusses a topic that I know very well. Too well. Obese children are bullied and teased more than “normal” weight children.
- A TV Show and Congress Tackle School Lunches – NY Times article discusses Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution and The Child Nutrition Act.
- Childhood Obesity Is a Social Justice Issue, Too – Blog post from The Huffington Post that discusses the socioeconomic and racial aspects of this major problem.
- Is There an Obesity Tipping Point in Infancy? – TIME Magazine article on implementing prevention strategies early.
- Baby Fat May Not Be So Cute After All – NY Times article discusses some new studies that suggest that prevention strategies should start early, even before your child is born.
Articles on Prevention Strategies
- Prevention – Discusses prevention strategies, including parents being positive and setting a good example.
- Tips for Parents – The CDC provides parents with prevention tips.
Articles on the Causes
- Risk Factors – Discusses some of the risk factors that increase a child’s risk of becoming overweight.
- Contributing Factors – The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) tackles the causes.
Articles on the Consequences
- Complications – Discusses the emotional, health, and social problems associated with childhood obesity.
- Consequences – The CDC discusses the consequences.
- Child Obesity Risks Death at Early Age, Study Finds – Discusses a recent study from The New England Journal of Medicine.
Articles on Treatment Strategies
- Treatments – Discusses treatment options, including proper nutrition, increased activity, medications, and surgery.
- How to fight childhood obesity in 3 steps – Learn three healthy family habits to help your child lose weight.